Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K3 RDP Max Connections 2 - only allowing 1? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregNVMC

IS-IT--Management
Jul 8, 2003
GB
Hi,

We have several Windows Server 2003 boxes, all are running SP1. All of them have RDP enabled, allowing remote administration of the boxes. All of the boxes are configured to allow 2 users to connect via RDP concurrently, however some of the boxes only seem to allow 1 at a time?

Is there a reason for this? How do I make sure that 2 people can connect via RDP at any one time? I've doubled checked the settings under Terminal Services Configuration, Connections, RDP-TCP Properties, Network Adapter Tab, and the Maximum Connections is already set to 2 here on all servers. Yet some allow 2 connections and some only 1.

This is driving me nuts, so any help on this is greatly appreciated ;-)

Kind Regards,

Greg.

Maybe when users are finished with their RDP session, instead of logging off they just close the connection? If so then they're probably holding onto one of the licenses. Go into TS manager and see how many connections are active. You can also set an idle timeout on TS manager so that if users do close connections, then it will close the connection after x minutes.

Hope this helps

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

Thanks - I have already checked this and it's only showing 1 account with no disconnected accounts shown. I also tried changing the max connections down to 1 and then back up to 2 in case that tricked it into working, but sadly no joy there either.

Thanks,

Greg.

If you start Remote Desktop with the /console switch (ie: mstsc /console) you'll only get one user at a time, as there is only one console, obvioustly.

This is however a good way of getting three users. 2x TS and 1x Console.

Just a thought, how have you configured RDP? Have you just turned on the remote desktop flag in system properties, or have you actually installed terminal services? I agree with Rob - using the /console switch is a good way of getting a third connection

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

Actually you've hit the nail on the head with this one - thanks ;-)

We have been using the Remote Desktops MMC tool that's part of the Win Server 2003 Admin Support tools pack. By default this obviously chooses to connect to the console. Since you can only have 1 person connected to the console, that was why it was only aparently allowing us to connect one at a time. I've tested this now using the standard remote desktop connection and the Remote Desktops MMC connection and it behaves exactly as you described - up to two people via Terminal Services and 1 via the console. Potentially you can have up to 3 people accessing the server remotely.

Thanks for your advice and input, it is hugely appreciated. Kudos to you for knowing this too ;-)

Kindest Regards,

Greg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back