Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K will not boot due to virus.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

itd17

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2002
US
What tools do I need to boot this machine so I can save all my files and format?

Have you tried repairing the master boot record? Using a boot floppy from a win 9x machine, boot the pc from the floppy. Run the command "fdisk /mbr" less the quotes. This should get you a new mbr which hopefully will let you boot and make any repairs or backups that you need to do.

Have you cleaned virus off machine? (was it a boot sector virus?)
When you say it won't boot - what's the message you get when you try?

Presuming you've got access to another 2k machine (or another machine & 2k install CD), format a floppy and copy ntldr, ntdetect.com - both in root of C: or on CD in \i386 - and boot.ini - also in root of C: to floppy. If no access to 2k machine, create a boot.ini using notepad or other text editor looking like this (assumes 2k on 1st partition of 1st drive):-

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Now boot from floppy & see if it will boot your 2k.

Or if you got the virus off or know were it is you can take a working mach and slave that drive to it and take off what you need. But, I wouldnt do this unless you know what virus it is and whats infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back