Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K WAN Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2002
US
I set up a W2k Member Server. On the LAN I can see and access the W2K Server. I installed Terminal Services and again from the LAN it works great.

My problem is from our remote site I can see the server from the clients "My Network Places", however, I can not ping the W2k Server by Name or IP Address. Help? To quote Robert De Niro in the movie A Bronx Tale, "there's nothing worse than wasted talent.".

Hi ComputerThug,

Well, if you can't ping your IP, the type of ping error message will determine your problem field.
I guess stgh like "no route to host" , ain't it ?

@+

Benj Le Kangooru.

The funny thing is now when I ping the server from a remote site I get a Reply then Request Timed Out. What is that all about? To quote Robert De Niro in the movie A Bronx Tale, "there's nothing worse than wasted talent.".

Ok I also had similar issue :
Check your Server NIC & switch parametric (full, half, auto) if your server is behind a switch (I guess that is).

We made mad for days with that problem, making several full re-installation of the server and so on.
We were also teasing with our WAN ISP (That was MCI)...
Also were suspecting the router...
But random results for ping ...

But just changing the NIC of the server (that was a darn fake server from DELL with 3COM generic chipset (don't remember if it was a 3C509B or 3C905B)) fixed the problem because the sense parametric between switch and server NIC wasn't actually applied with the old interface.

Hope that could help,

Benj Le Kangooru.

I've found that sometimes getting back to basics helps. Put your server in your hosts and lmhosts files. Doesn't hurt to have them or not, but sometimes helps. Good luck.

Monday I am going to install W2k on a new system. Maybe that will work.

Thank You - I will keep you posted.

To quote Robert De Niro in the movie A Bronx Tale, "there's nothing worse than wasted talent.".

I've posted a similar fix that Kangooru had. My problem was some users couldn't log onto the domain. We have mixed, W2K and Novell. The users would get the error "Can't log onto domain/name". They would cancel and then get on the Novell network when there password passed them through. I didn't find out about it for about 3 weeks after it started. (Don't know why nobody notified me.) I tried everything I could think of, then I decided to re-boot all 3 W2K servers. By this time I had a test pc set up by the servers that couldn't log on also. When I shut down a brand new W2K server that I put online 3 weeks earlier, presto, I logged onto the domain. Turns out the NIC was bad and sending out tons of bad packets. Replaced the NIC, everything worked. Good luck.

Thank You
I installed W2K on a new machine and everything is OK. To quote Robert De Niro in the movie A Bronx Tale, "there's nothing worse than wasted talent.".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back