Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k VPN Server, W98 client will ping, XP Pro can't Ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCraw

Programmer
Aug 8, 2002
US
I am trying to establish a VPN with a W2K server through a Linksys BEFSR41 router. The other office has two systems, one XP Pro, the other Win98SE. With the W98SE I can make the logon and share the network resources. On the XP Pro system I can logon successfully, but I can't see any network resources and I can not ping the VPN server. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Are you using NAT at both offices? If so, the private addresses have to be on different networks. For example, if office A is using 192.168.1.0, then office B will need to use 192.168.2.0 (or something like that). I had this same problem...a Windows XP Home machine would work, but A Windows 2000 Pro machine would not work.

I have all machines connected exactly the way you are describing. Win 98SE, Win XP Pro, AND Win 2K Pro, and all connections work, and I can share drives. What you must do, is be sure that you have the same username and password on all machines. Make sure that they are all in the same domain, or workgroup, or for the XP and 2K machines, you must "connect as" and use a properly formatted "domain\username" and "password".

That should do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back