Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Terminal Services Printing Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielNicholson

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2001
US
I need info on correcting a TS default printer issue.
User connects via TS and want to use her locally connecte printer as the default printer. How/where do I set up a logon script to provide this or an I going in the wrong direction???

Sample script would help too.

Daniel

Try adding the printer through the printer wizard on the machine your accessing through TS, ensuring the locally connected printer is set up for sharing. This is a assuming your accessing through a WAN/LAN environment, and your in effect making available a network printer.
Hope this helps!

I believe that if you connect to a server through Terminal Services and the printer is already connected to the computer that is connecting to the Terminal Server, it should auto-create the printer on the server side. Check the printers and see if it has already been created, if not go through the Add Printer Wizard to set it up. Eddie Martin
Network Support Technician

Email: Eddie@digitechcomputer.com

**Don't forget to mark post helpful if it helps to answer your question. It may come in handy for others as well**

You must make sure that the printer on the local machine that is connecting to the server is shared and connected via the lpt port. If it is connected via usb or has its own network port you must set it up a different way. Also be SURE that you have the drivers for that printer installed on your terminal server. Check the system log on the terminal server for errors.

Nick

Install the driver on the TS server.

Install the printer on the local workstation [win98/NT/etc] and thin client unit.

Upon connection to TS, local printer will become default printer and all users will be able to it as long as that workstation has a connection to TS. Once workstation disconnects from TS, nobody can use that printer.

On a Thin client box [such as Compaq's T20], you can only install printers available in the config list. You might also want to contact vendor to find out if you can flash unit for new list of printers.

how do you install just the "driver" on the TS server without going through the full printer install process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back