Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k Task Bar Intermittent Hide Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

savincent1

Programmer
Apr 15, 2002
US
I like to have my Task Bar Hidden to have more screen space, I ahve done this for years and now I am getting issues, intermittently, where I can not bring the task bar up when I move my mouse down to it while in different applications. One crazy thought was that the program I was running would not allow the Task Bar to be active while the program was active. Well IE 5, 5.01 SP2, IE 5.5, IE 6 should not stop the Task Bar from coming up when needed. I have checked MS website and no articles on this issue are available, that I could find. I thought this was only on my home desktop W2k Pro, but it also happens on my Dell laptop with W2k Pro. I have ALL the updates from the windowsupdate.microsoft.com website on both units. Any suggestions? Thanks.

My first thought is to check the properties on your task bar and be sure "Always on top" is checked. I have seen instances when this is not checked, that the app in front steals the focus and won't let go.

Another tip that has worked for me is to do a ctrl-alt-del and select the Task Manager. Once it started, try the task bar and see if it's alive again. If the focus changes to a system app, it seems to help get things back in order again.

Good luck! JSV

Thanks for your reply. Yep, it is marked to always be on top. I will check the latter suggestion and try ctrl-alt-del next time and see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back