Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K SP4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrunnqu

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
US
We are in the planning stages of deploying SP4 to about 1600 w2k workstations in a single site. Given a size of about 130MB for the package and a backbone of atm and gigabit ethernet along with 100MB nics, how many clients per Distribution Point per advertisement would be appropiate?

To put it another way, how many distribution points would we need per 200 workstations per advertisment start time?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

That's really going to depend on a number of factors that will be specific to your environment. You've already identified the network component, but you also need to determine when the best time to deploy is. Will you deploy during the day, overnight, etc.?

Also, how long will you need to advertise the service pack? Will all clients log in and update at the same time?

Its best to do a phased deployment, as much as possible. If you have different subnets, I'd suggest deploying the service pack to collections based on each subnet. Doing it this way also allows you to monitor the deployment more accurately, and gives you the ability to halt deployment if a problem arises. By subnet may work for you, so find a criteria that does.

Rod Trent
Microsoft.MVP.SMS
=======================================
Main site: =======================================

Thanks for the feeback. I do plan on a phased approach by subnet. My subnets contain as few as 9 and as many as 250 clients. Do I need to break my larger ones down even farther? I plan on making advertisements available at night, even though we are a 24/7 operation. I will be deploying only when no is logged on. I plan on having advertisements run at least 1 week.

Any feedback based on this information?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back