Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K SP2 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2001
US
Just downloaded SP2 to my stand alone system. All seems to be OK (knock wood) however, my ZoneAlarm is going crazy blocking (or wanting to block) a "Service & Controller App". If I block it, I cannot access the internet.Does anyone have any idea what this is, what part it plays with W2K and should it be blocked? I have a dial up connection.

From the ZoneAlarm FAQ's:

1. How do I identify programs that want to access the Internet?
Sometimes you may recognize a program name, other times you may not. An unrecognizable program may be an important component used by a recognizable program in order to function.

For instance, "Services and Controller App" is an important component of Windows 2000 that is required in order to surf the web. Other times, however, an unrecognized program may be potentially harmful. If you don't recognize a program, start by hovering your mouse over the program entry in the Programs panel and read the tool tip as to the file's location on your hard drive.

Thanks techshoot - but why did this guy pop up all of a sudden - when I was running SP1 it never showed it's little face - how does the installation of SP2 have this effect?

SP2 changed some of the security routings which may have been setup as default in ZoneAlarm but have now changed. There had also been some additional security features added as well, but I believe this one was a change in how it was ported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back