Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Server, Win 98 machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamek

MIS
Aug 18, 2001
US
Howdy folks, my problem is a simple one, i think, what i have is a small network of approx 15 w2k pro machines and a couple straggling win 98 machines, we set up the server and applied policies to the 2kpro machines, but are unable to apply them to the <expletive deleted> 98 machines. I am able to, disable any account, set login time restrictions, but im unable to apply a policy that prevents the use of the start/run or start/find items, fairly simple things. ANY ideas would be extremely helpful in correcting this problem.

Dave

The only policies that apply to Win98 machines are Win98 system policies, created with the Win98 System Policy Editor. The policies in the Win2K group policy objects apply ONLY to Win2K machines.

On your Win2k server cd
there is a folder called clients. In it you will find a
file named DSclient.exe. If you run this on your windows
9x machines it will allow you limited access to some of
the AD features. You can configure computer accounts for
the Win9x machines, however Group Policies and many of the
features of Win2k are not available. The only control
that you have of the machines is by creating a config.pol
file using System Policy editor on a 9x machine and
placing it in the netlogon share of your DC.
On my home Win2k domain I am using Win9x machines and they
have compupter accounts.

Dave - If you need any more info, turn around and ask me.

Microscot

microscot

that answers my question as well.....i have a similar network ie w2k servers and win98 clients. I have not created computer accounts in the AD for any of the win 98 clients. Is this necessary and if so why??

thanks

kenny

Hmm.. guys, on this note i have an &quot;almost-the-same&quot; scenerio. say in a LAN of 100 PCs, most of them are win98, they pull down the config.pol from the DC and alls well, now i'm about to upgrade at least half of them to win2k, what am i to do for the same config.pol to work on the win2k PCs??
Its in a school, users are defined as Teachers, Students and Administrators.

how do you access windows 98 policy editor and how do you use it to write policies???

well, users access their individually mapped drives to their desktops and have different access rights to different network folders on the DC. i use the pole edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back