Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Server will only connect at 10.0Mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendangriffin

Technical User
Feb 22, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have a server plugged in into a 10/100 hub with a 10/100 NIC. If I go into the properties of the LAN connection on the server it only shows a connection of 10Mbps. The HUB shows a connection of 100 and the IBM server also shows this.

Any ideas

Thanks

Brendan

Are you using a managed hub and if so is it set to allow that particular port to use 100Mbps?

Also you can try to force your NIC to use Full Duplex instead of Hardware Default if your hub supports this...go into your LAN properties and choose Configure under the NIC...under the Advanced Tab choose Duplex Mode and change the type to Full Duplex...this may allow the two components to negotiate the 100Mbps rate.

Maybe try going to the properties of the card thru device manager and on the advanced tab change the connection to 100 mbps. Don't know if that will work... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

In the last building I worked in, some of the wiring was a little old, and we had problems running 100bT on it. Check your cabling. Marc Creviere

If your hub supports mulitple negoiation formats. Ensure that you set the hub to what ever your LAN cards are set to.

i.e in this case 100mbps in half or full duplex - depending what you need.

We have moved off auto negoiations on the hub and NIC to ensure smoother communications between the two devices.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back