Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k Server will not detect the cd on install....

Status
Not open for further replies.

amb3rsil

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2001
GB
Hello,

Ive just purchased a new server 1.4gig athlon twin 60gig drives in ide raid mirrored and 512 ddr ram. I went to install w2k server using the four boot disks and then with the CD. This was all going fine until it got past the dos blue screen part of the install, restarted and now it has prompted me to locate the file nt5inf.cat located on the CD. Thing is that it cant see the CD-rom so Im a bit stuck, is there any way of getting round this, or am I going to have to run a boot disk format back to fat32 install win 9x or something and upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Amb3rsil

HI!

New computers can boot from CD. Have you tried that?

What CDROM do you have IDE or SCSI?

Maybe WIN2000 failed detecting your IDE controller.
Look in the manufacture web site for related articles and TShoots.
Maybe you'll have to use the F6 trick like with NT4 to install the correct disk controller driver, or maybe you'll have to change some files on the boot disks.

2 other options:
* Install a different IDE controller and/or CDROM drive if available.
* Put an empty IDE disk on a different computer, install Win2K on that computer, install IDE drivers for the new computer on the old temp machine,
clone (GHOST) the temp IDE drive to one of the new ones, put them on the new PC and hope that Win2000 will load and not stop with a blue screen.
In some configurations it will work but will fail in other. You can try and see...

Bye
Yizhar
Yizhar Hurwitz

Thanks for the tips, hmmm Its an ide generic 52 speed cd rom drive, It uses an on board fastrak100 ide raid controller which I install the drivers for when it prompts me to. I tried booting straight from CD and got a different problem..now setup once it has gone into the gui bit just gives me a window that says please wait. Then it just hangs.

Any ideas? Ill try getting new raid controller drivers maybe that will help I guess.

Thanks again,

Amb3rsil

Easiest thing first - Have you check your systems BIOS to see its boot order. A lot of PCs by default boot from the hard drive before the CD. Possibly it is as simple as changing the boot order to FDD then CDD then HDD.

Hope this helps!!

Hello,

Thanks for all your help. It turns out to be that my brand new 52x cd rom drive needs a firmware update in order for it to run, its to do with the timing on the spindle speed not being set correctly and therefore it doesnt respond quickly enough during initial detection. I found a KB article on the problem :-

Just in case anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks everyone for their help,

(This forum rox!)

Amb3rsil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back