Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K server w/Exchange 5.5 sp-4 shutsdown for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

smlull

MIS
Aug 17, 2002
US
As my name implies, I'm new to this. I have a Windows 2000 server (Compaq ml530) with Exchange 5.5 with sp-4. It has dual power supplies. It seems to be fine, except in the event log. I'll look and for no reason, and not a specified times I'll get the red x error. "The previous system shutdown at 5:20:48pm on 11/15/02 was unexpected" No other ideas or anything. It happens in the early morning, late at night, any time. It's one of 3 exchange servers. It is (I guess) the main one because I built it first. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Lull
scott_lull@bshsi.com

Are you using Insight Manager to monitor the server? Does it throw up any hardware related issues?

Certainly sounds a weird problem, possibly related to hardware.

Use Compaq Insight Manager to check the hardware status.

Sounds like a hardware issue "power supply/UPS/motherboard" etc. I had issue like this with a server connected to a bad UPS. Have you tried a different power source.

Hi,
I have the same problem 5.5 on 2k os running on Dell pe2650, it looks like Denial Of Service, I 'd get a blank screen and could'not ping to the server. When I physically inspected the hardware, all the light indicators (HardDrive, interface link state,and the status screen are blue which indicate that the hardware is normal. If in the event that the hardware failed, we the status screen would be ample or red.
I have not found the cause of the problem yet, but if anyone may know the cause or has some pointers to the right direction, I would be appreciated.

Thanks,

You get this when there's a power outage. Make sure it's connected to a good UPS.

Dennes,
Thanks for your replay.

I know for sure it was not power supply related in my case. I have double checked the power is on. This may be relate to the problem to ms article ID Q326564. I have updated my sys to see if it shutdown by itself tonight.

Thanks,

Check in the bios and turn off all Power Management features and see if you still experience this.

The resolution from article Q326564 solved the problem.
thanks everyone for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back