Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k Server VPN Server Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacquiw

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2002
GB
I know this will appear really dumb and it problably is but hey I'll never find the answer without help so here goes.

I need to setup and test a VPN from other offices to our main office as currently users dial in via modem or ISDN lines and you can guess the problems I get with waiting times. All the offices are along way away so in order to test it I have to set it up from my home broadband connection.

The router at work is FVS318 which I have found loads of very helpful posts about - thanks to everyone for posting

At home I have W2k prof on a DG834G router so I have downloaded safenet as my VPN client.

I cannot get the 2 to connect and then I thought that the fact that I had no VPN Server setup at the office (see I said it was dumb) might be casuing a problem.

I can find loads of tutorials for setting up a VPN Server if the Configure and Enable Routing and Remote Access wasn't grey out - it is on my set up as users already have dialup access.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of a tutorial on this subject

Thanks

Jacqui

you want to set up clients on user's home pc's, into the 2k server that is also being used for dial-up? you have to set up rras to accept vpn connections. and you have to allow port 1723 and pptp through your router to the server.

Thanks for the reply

I gave up and bought a second FVS318 got a static ip address and it works fine now

Jacqui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back