Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Server replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian18

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2002
GB
Hi all, I am looking to replace a w2k server. It is a domain controller and global catalogue but does not hold any fismo roles. My plan is to:
1. put a base windows system onto the new server.
2. Restore the old server from tape onto the new server.
3. Remove the old server off the network
4. introduce the new server (same name as the old one) onto the domain.

Does anyone have any comments on this plan as I would really appreciate some guidance.

it might not work, the best practice to replace DC hardware is

0. Full backup(anything major , backup is alway good friend)
1. demote the old server to a member server gracefully, which fix all the reference in AD. When u demote it, FSMO will transfer, in your case, not FSMO, so you are luck.

2. bring in the new win2000 server on the new hardware, right, base OS installation

3. dcpromo the new box, make it GC after reboot in dssite.msc

4. check AD repl, using repadmin/showreps or replmon(they are coming from Support tools)

5. monitoring all a period of time, sell the old box on ebay. lol. you are done, buddy!

---------------------------------------
Sr. Directory Services/Exchange Consultant

Thanks for the reply. After read some posts I though it would be something along those lines. Makes it sound easy. Keep you eyes out on ebay for a Dell 6400 Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back