Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K server not accessible from NT4 server/workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

riwa

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2003
NL
Hi,

We have a NT4 domain with several Windows 2000 servers in it. Last weekend we installed some Windows security updates on several servers. Nothing special about this so far.

However, on Monday I noticed that I can't browse one specific W2K server from one NT4 server and 2 NT4 workstations.
I can ping the machine, I see it in the network list but I can't access shares or browse the server to see the shares.

I have other NT4 servers which don't have this problem so I'm a bit lost what this can be.

Anyone got an idea what I can do or check or ... ?

Thanks,

Richard

dns & wins?
name resolution working fine?
check network settings and compare the NT boxes that work and those that don't.....

Aftertaf

getting quite good at sorting out Windows problems...
An expert when it comes to crashing Linux distributions (mdk, debian - nothing withstands me)

riwa, I have exactly the same problem with 1 W2000 server in our mixed domain. The shared resources on the server were browsable before but now are not and nothing (to my knowledge) changed.

I will update this thread if I come across a solution.

The server in question has dual nics. File and print sharing and Client for Microsoft Networks had been unchecked on one of the adapters as a fix for another issue (conflict between the 2 cards). Reinstating these on the secondary nic has made the shared resources browsable once more. Await to see if previous problem re-occurs.

Apologies for the thread hijack.

My W2K server was already installed with 2 nics and File and print sharing and Client for Microsoft Networks are enabled on both cards.

I did see different IP addresses in the DNS list and DHCP list so maybe that has something to do with at as well.
Haven't got the chance yet to reboot the machine to see if it fixes the problem.

Do you have both nics connected to the switch and are both using DHCP for IP addresses ?

If so you could Team the nics if the software allows or just disable one of the nics. You'll need to clean up DNS and Wins. There are browsing problems with having two nics on one server. check this article

Yes ! Problem solved.

The DNS list showed no strange IP addresses for the server but when I looked at Wins there was no list.
But then I noticed that I had to search for a server to showup in Wins and I found some strange addresses for multiple servers which all have dual nics now.
I removed them and the server is browsable again.

So thanks for the help.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back