Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Server for VPN, XP client Good, W98 client Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCraw

Programmer
Aug 8, 2002
US
I am attempting to setup my first VPN and I have run into a problem. I have a W2K Server setup with 2 NICs for remote access. My XP client connects to the server, logs in & I can map drives. My W98 client returns error 629 You have been disconnected from the computer you dialed. I have not even tried to involve my router since that adds another layer of confusion. I have tried the exact same account on both client systems so it is not the rights assigned. I have only tried to connect one machine at a time. Please, any suggestions would be welcome.

I answered my own question.

I need to update my DUN to 1.4 for W98.

It is available at the Microsoft website.

Hope this helps someone else.

Hello,
I'm having the same trouble, but upgrading to DUN 1.4 did not do the trick. Did you make any other configuration changes?

I'm trying to dial in from a Win98 client to a Win2K RAS server. I've installed the Microsoft L2TP client and DUN 1.4, as I've mentioned.. I've issued and installed a certificate with no problems, as well.. I can connect fine from a Win2K box, just not Win98.. :-( Any ideas you or anyone else may have are very appreciated...

This was over a year ago, so I don't remember doing anything else. The only suggestion I can think of is I used the RAS Server to create a workstation setup floppy. The W98 machine was the only machine that I had to use the floppy to get it to work. I can't remember anymore details, but maybe that will help.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back