Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w2k server dual processor license 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowweb

Technical User
Apr 8, 2003
PH
We've got a W2K Server running with one processor in a dual processor capable machine.

We want to add another processor.

Q1) Will we have to reload the OS? (or reconfigure it?)

Q2) Will all standard server apps run on dual processor machines or do we have to check each individually?

Q3) Will our existing Windows 2000 Server operating system license still license a dual processor machine or do we have to upgrade the license or buy a special "dual processor" edition of W2K (if there is such a thing)?

Thanks for your help chaps.

Kind regards

peter

The best place to start is your Hardware vendor, they should be able to answer all your questions.

As for the license, we are running W2K on dual process and there was not additional cost for licenses, I don't even think that there's such a license.

I beleive that the dual processor license comes into play when you are buy SQL license.

many thanks for that 2cornot2c, just what I needed to hear!!

Regards, peter

If I remember correctly W2K standard is licensed for up to 4 CPU's, Advanced for up to 8, Datacenter for 32.

Sql licensing is only affected if you have a per CPU license rather than per user.

You will have to reconfigure W2K by going to hardware list then update driver of your computer to multi-processor. Should only need W2K disk or location of your i386 folder.
No need to reinstall.

Other apps you'd have to check with the vendor. Most will support dual-CPU's without any licensing issues but some will try and extract more cash from you.

Neill

thanks NTINLIN, now you mention it, i remember now from the w2k exam, it was one of the questions! Thanks, I thought i remembered something about it but it seems it probably won't be affecting us from a licensing point of view.

Pleased too that no re-install is required!

Thanks for your help.

You will need to reinstall the HAL for multiprocessor.

Paul

Work on Windows, play on Linux.

thanks penauroth, but I can't for the life of me call to mind what the 'HAL' is although it seems familiar.

(wasn't it the name of the mainframe in the movie 'Wargames'?)

Please can you enlighten me (sorry if i'm being thick)

regards peter

I've given ntinlin a star for remembering the exam stuff well after i'd forgotten it. cheers mate!

Hardware Application Layer

This is part of what gets updated when you change the driver of your computer to multi-CPU as I mentioned above.

Neill

Ah, thanks Neill for that.

Regards, pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back