Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K server disconnecting MAC clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budgie69

Technical User
Jul 12, 2001
AU
Does this mean anything to anyone?

Session from user "username" was timed out and disconnected by the server. The IP address of the Macintosh workstation is in the data.

EVENT ID 12061

welcome to the club!

and Please Pass on the resolution
if there is one

I think i may have found the answer, turn of the power save mode on the Mac's...

nope thats not it!

but if you have it on shut it off

I gave up and got a Xserver

Damn

User has not been kicked off yet, will watch the eventlogs;;

i think i may get another server, if this continues to happen

sOmebody must have an answer for this, surely ?

First thing to do in cases like this is to make sure the serversoftware is updated and the Macintosh services in it are fully operational. Very often the person that controls the server does not have sufficient knowledge of the acquired actions for enabling access for Macs. Ahum... Macintoshservices.. aha !! It works!

Next; the error may be on your side ... you may not be using the correct protocol for linking to a Windows network. I do not know which OS you are using but the following may be usefull.

Try finding out whether SMB or AFP have something to do with it and try changing your settings: this might improve your connection.

You may want to check this site: <<
Good luck!

I had so many problems using SMB. I found it imposiible to work with, kept getting the now infamous error -36. AFP comes with it's own problems, but as for the disconnecting error, I belive a registry hack on the server fixes it.

I haven't done this but I've been told that you can amend the reg...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters\autodisconnect

Set this to ffffffff and the server will never disconnect clients.

-36 indicates a security problem. Make sure you've got the login information right!

I log into XP and w2k servers all the time - my only problem is that it can't seem to retrieve my password from the keychain - I have to type in every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back