Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w2k server backup solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

grcnet

MIS
May 1, 2003
US
I'm a new Systems Administrator and have to implement a reliable backup solution for my windows 2000 domain
controller running AD and mission critical apps.

how often do I run full backups?
do I run incremental or differential and how often?
do I use tape or drives for backup? can I use both together?
how do I test to make sure my backups?

Usually you run full's once a week. like on friday night. but there is not set rule. i am trying to get mismanagement to let me do fulls during the week so the tapes go off-site the next day.
I dont know anyone that does diff's(but i really dont know that many people) I run incrementals everynight.
Drives tend to be a tad pricie to do backups with. it really depends on how much data you are backing up. i backup 1.5 TB everynight. i could just imagine how many drive i would need, then try to ship then to storage!
Testing is VERY improtant. I have jotten a couple of jobs because the guy before me didnt test. disaster... all you really need to do is a couple of restores once in a while. i like to do them on tapes that are going off-site for a long time. 15 monthe or monthends at 7 years. that way i know the data is there. more offten then not you will need it so you want to be sure it is there.

A lot of what you ask is just a matter of preference and budget??? But the following works well for my purposes...

First Monday of month
Level 0 (full)

All other Mondays
Level 1 (incremental to previous Level 0)

Tuesday
Level 2 (daily incremental to previous Level 1)

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

I use a NAS device to backup to, but again any dependable media will do depending on what you want to spend.
As far as whether you know you are getting reliable backups...most (maybe all) backup software keeps a reliable log, and has the ability to do a verify after backup, but probably the best thing to do is test it by restoring a file or set of files every once in a while. Be sure you back up the system state and AD. Also try to keep an up to date ERD disk for the server(s). Good Luck...

JL

Thanks for your responses, I now have a good idea how to
implement my backup plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back