Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Server and RRAS config...

Status
Not open for further replies.

liebknecht

Programmer
Dec 16, 2001
SE
Hello.

I'm really a newbee to W2K Server setups and configurations but I hope someone out there will answer my questions or lead me to the right place for good information.

Q1: Is it possible to have a W2K RRAS server concurrently connected to several ISPs (Internet Service Providers) via multiple dial-up connections?

Q2: If Q1, can I perform load balancing between the ISP connections in combination with dial-on-demand?

Q3: If Q1, can I restrict usage of one of the ISP connections to just two computers (priviliged ones) on my LAN?

Q4: If Q1, must I have special ISPs or do the services provided by the common ones fulfill my needs?

Q5: If Q1, can I apply firewall (filtering) functionality to these multiple ISP connections separately?

Q6: So finally, if this is possible then how do I do this? Any good hyperlinks for information?

Many questions but as my mother used to say, it is better to ask a question and look stupid then not to ask the question and remain stupid.

Best regards.

Hello again.

I'm desperate for help. I've read a lot of information from the Microsoft tech sites but I still can not figure out if my requested solution is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Liebknecht:

q1: yes it is.
q2: yes you can pending type of dial-up connection/serial load balancing setup. ISP will need to support this. Not 100% sure if I have done with or without third party product.
q3: yes you can.
q4: common isps do not allow serial load balancing or multiplexing. Check with ISP to find out for your needs.
q5: rras you can set it per adapter but if rras sees the load balanced link as one adapter you cant. ISA server permits filtering per socket/ip though.
q6: search technet.microsoft.com for RRAS documents but everything is available on on-line help.

Hope that helps mate, Cheers Andy.

I'm overwhelmed. Thank you LKT now I just have to dig down in the documentation and start exploring the RRAS server.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back