Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Server and Email... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonsteak

Technical User
Apr 15, 2002
CA
Ok this is the run down.
1. Made my server a domain controller using a registered domain name.
2. Installed AD
3. Created User Accounts... Cool
4. Configured clients to log onto domain.
Everything is fine for the most part... The mail server used to send and recieve mail is outsourced... Now in the Account Properties of Outlook Express each client has their username and pwd as assigned by the provider to logon to the mail server when OE is opened. With the exception of the username they all use the same pwd for access. When I set up my domain I changed each client to use the Windows NT logon to utilize AD authenication. Some users can access email as they were identified before some can't. Any hints, let me know... if any of this is a bit fuzzy just ask.

Need a little more info: How many machines are we talking about here? And what OS is being used...98, ME, 2000 etc. See if you can figure out if it is a connection and configuration problem on the machine or is it a problem with the user accounts.

If some accounts are working and some aren't then I would say it is probably a configuration problem with the connection.

I will check back to see if I can offer what little knowledge i have.

Also, what kind of connection?? IMAP?? POP??

Sounds like a configuration problem to me too. It shouldn't have anyting to do with the AD authentication.

Actually it is a small environment temporarily employing a small workgroup consisting of 10 workstations all running Win 98. Each user has a name@companyname.com email address which is assigned via the email provieder. As I said each one uses the same pwd the only difference is the username. This is only a problem if the Client for Microsoft Networks is set to Logon to a Windows NT domain. For most this is not a problem, but for the ones that it is email can be recieved if I don't set the client to use NT validation... of course by doing that AD authentication is flushed down the tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back