Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k routing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

achilleus

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2001
US
Thanks in advance for your help.

Here is a snap of my network:

Intranet > FIREWALL > CISCO > Internet

My issue is trying to route packets through FIREWALL to the Internet. The FIREWALL (a W2k Server) has 3 NICs with IPs in the 63.x.x.x range. One NIC for Intranet and 2 for the CISCO (T1's). So far I have been unable to get packets from the Intranet to the Internet. I have tried manually adding routes, but it hasn't done the trick.

Is there an issue with having both the Internal and External interfaces with the same 63.x.x.x IP range?
The FastEthernet Cards on the CISCO are also in the same IP range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you using MS RRAS and using NAT?
Did you add each internal NIC as an IGMP router?
Did you add each external NICs as the proxy?

I am using MS RRAS, but not using NAT. I am new to RRAS, so I dont believe I have it configured correctly. Adding the NICs as IGMP router and proxys is done in RRAS?

I need to set up NAT so as to avoid having all of the interfaces on the same subnet. I was trying to avoid having to use NAT, as some of our servers (ones that run our companys software product) dont like NAT. But I assume having a 192.168.x.x internal range will solve my routing issue at the gateway.

Thanks!

I don't think you need to use non-routable IP addresses to use NAT. As for your subnets and stuff, I don't know what your supposed to be using. I would reconfigure RRAS and select Internet sharing w/ NAT. This will make your machine a software router. It will ask you which NIC is connected to the Internet, and it will then ask you which NIC is connected to the LAN. I would try to get this setup working with just 2 NICs. [1 connected to Internet, other connected to LAN]. It will automatically make configure proxy/router settings.

I also suggest you either put a firewall on the machine or before the machine connected to the t1s because ppl WILL hax0r your machine and you will look like a dumbass when they do. I've only used this type of configuration at home and got it working.
a cable modem connected to a win2k machine with 5 NICs. Each NIC is connected to a different set of computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back