Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K RAS Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rluv

Technical User
Dec 13, 2000
BR
I upgrade my RAS Server from NT 4 to W2K.
We also upgrade every server with W2K , we made the AD and everything is working fine.

W2K workstations works fine with the ras. Log to the Network , got access to the network and the share folders, etc.
We also have Win9X workstations , with win9X clients whe can't log on in Domain. We can't see the folders, etc..

Any idea ??
PS: Win9X workstations is working with TCP/Ip and Netbios.
There is reference in the hosts file like this..
10.76.134.231 DCSERVER #PRE #DOM:Domain

W9X machines like WINS better than DNS. Are you still running WINS and can those machines access the WINS server?

Are those clients trying to access the network via dial-up connection? Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

Have you installed the Active Directory Client for Windows 95/98?

I'm not using WINS.
Win9X machines wasn't using the Active Directory client.
This should help in this case?

Inside the Lan everything works. Only in a dial up they could not locate a domain controler.But if I just ignore this message and locate the server by IP address I can reach and access the server. But I can't run scripts and so on.

if you don't want to bother with WINS, throw some lmhosts files on the 95 machines to help resolve name to ip...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back