Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Prof. Internet History item - Cannot delete 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjph

Programmer
Jun 13, 2001
CA
I have a Internet Shortcut dislpayed only under History Search. It cannot be deleted. I have cleared history, temporary internet files, etc. with no success The history item appears to have been placed there by a website somehow as it has never been visited (times visited), and has a last visited date of 0.

Can anyone help. This is most anyoying.

3 things:
First do you have an Antivirus installed and if so is it up to date?

Second are you using a dial up modem or do you use a cable or DSL modem? If you use a DSL or cable modem do you have a firewall installed?

Third try booting into safe mode and delete the file.
Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

I have Norton Antivrus, and have used live update.
Nothing has been detected.

I use a dial up modem.

Tried booting up in safe mode, but could not sign into W2K, I did sign into DOS mode from boot, and tried working my way down, Local Settings and deleting History.IE5 with little success. I could delete SUb directories and the index.dat files but not the index.dat in History.IE5

I do not have admin authourity - will this stop me?

That is your problem. You really cant do anything ( Well very little anyway)to the system without local admin rights. Is it possible for you to be given local admin rights? If not have an administrator do this for you. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

I agree. Thats the whole issue is rights. If you donthave them you cant do squat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back