Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Pro hangs on shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggeroo

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
DK
Whenever I try to shut down or restart my system, it seems to work fine, but after the "saving Settings" and "shutting down" messages, nothings happens but a black screen with a dos cursor blinking in tha corner.

It would be very nice if anybody knew how to resolve this as it is really annoying, as I would like to avoid reinstalling the system.

Please help.

I had this problem on two different machines: a FIC va503+ motherboard and an Asus P2B-B motherboard. Both of these motherboards are the AT form factor (not ATX) but have the capability of using either an AT or ATX type power supply. Each of these motherboards, when W2k is installed, has a bios that W2k sees as ACPI capable. When the computer is told to shut down, W2k gives the shutdown commands that would be appropriate for an ACPI ATX system. In my case, both systems were powered by an AT power supply, not an ATX power supply, so those shutdown commmand(s) resulted in a blank screen with only a blinking cursor (it sounded as though the hard drives did spin down). If I powered the system down now, things would be fine upon restart.

Is your system similar?

In device manager, what type of system is reported?

An ACPI system? (ATX type)

or perhaps a

Standard PC (AT type)?

If the wrong one is selected/installed, see:

and

(knowledge base articles Q216251 and Q237556)

You may have to do a W2K repair reinstall (specifying the proper type of system, Standard PC in my case) to properly fix the problem. I did and it fixed the problem for me on both machines.

Paul

Paul J. Stiles
stilespj@mindspring.com

In additon to my above post, make certain that if your compter is ACPI capable, that the ACPI is enabled in the motherboard's bios.

Paul

Paul J. Stiles
stilespj@mindspring.com

My PC does exactly the same thing, although it never used to (it used to switch itself off). I'm not running Windows 2000, though, but 98SE and even the Microsoft shut-down patch hasn't worked. I just put up with it these days, but I've no idea why, overnight, the PC decided it had had enough of shutting down properly!

I had this same black blank screen hang at shutdown with a flashing top left corner blinking cursor and found it was being caused by some unsigned Adaptec DirectCD drivers. Removing it from loading at start-up by using RegCleaner solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back