Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K PC reboots on Novell Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

ludsy

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2001
AU
Just upgraded to NW6, SP2. No majors dramas till the enxt day. Some users are running W2K, 4.83sp1 client on a Compaq Evo box. You boot the PC and try to login to Novell and the PC reboots. If you click on the Tree to browse the PC reboots. However, if i move the PC to another network segment it does not happen. Obviously a network issue but to cause the PC to reboot? i dont know. Have uninstalled the client and re-installed but same problem. Even if you try workstation only it reboots now as well. Any thoughts?

Dude, I think you got gremlins

I'll have to read up on this one, very interesting issue.

But hunt down TheLad in the other NetWare forums. He might have some good ideas if no one here can think of somthing. He's not in this forum, so he won't see the post unless he upgrades to NetWare6

Whats the difference in hardware between segments?
Is there a second subnet also or are both segments in the same subnet?
What device segments your network? Brent Schmidt CNE, Network +
Senior Network Engineer

Why do user go into a panic when a NetWare server goes down, but accept it as normal when a Windows server goes down?

Found a TID 10065942 - fixes the problem but then we cant run our clients very old and soon to be phased out ccMail.

Then there is also the new problem of Windows 2000 boxes running on Token Ring that keep losing their connection to the server and hav to reboot. I will investigate those others things you mentioned.

The PC that reboots is on 100mb Ethernet, server is on Gigabit, but we have a mix of (ready for it) - Gigabit ethernet, 100mb ethernet, 4mb Token Ring, 16mb Token ring, 100mb token ring, ATM switches, routers, switches etc etc etc - lots of work let me tell you!

Check the network card configuration and the "problem" port. If either is set to autonegotiate, force both to 100 HALF duplex. We've seen alot of unusual problems with NICs and switches which autonegotiate.

One likely difference between the segments is the DHCP Subnet Range. If you are using DHCP on Netware to push SLP information, things have changed drastically from your Netware 5 server. SLP has gone from 1.07 to 2.0, and that is a huge change. SLP information contained in options 78 and 79 are no longer formatted properly because of this upgrade. Go into DNS/DHCP console, and delete options 78 and 79. Make sure the DHCP server is restarted. Now go back to the DNS/DHCP console, and add back in the information again for Options 78 and 79. This will format the information properly. The most common symptom of this problem if NT machines freezing, but reboot is also a possibility.

If you do not have SLP set up at all, then do it quickly, as well as DNS.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back