Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Opening files from network is slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdnsoe

IS-IT--Management
Aug 31, 2001
BE
Hello,

I'm having the following problem :

A Compaq PC PIII 1GHz 384 MB with NIC 100 Mb connected on a 3Com switch 100 Mb. When a user logs on a sript is running which maps 10 drive letters. Opening an attachement stored on the exchange 5.5 server (a word document of 220 Kb only text) takes 25 seconds. When I want to save an excell document on the file server, or I want to insert an attachment in an e-mail I first have to go to the drive letter wereafter I can give the file name or click on the file I want to insert. To get a list of the drive letters takes 30 seconds. When I'm testing all this on a Win95 PC PII 233 64 MB ram with a 10 Mb nic, it will go much faster.

Does anyone has an idea how to solve this problem ?

Thanks in advance.

What type of anti-virus program are you running? I have experienced the same types of slowdowns when the anti-virus is set to scan directories and files before opening.

I'm using Mcafee anti-virus software

I had a problem with McAfee - don't we all. If you're running V4.03 or something similiar, you may have to upgrade to at least 4.5. I found this on the hp website because I had the problem on one of their e-pc's, but it might not be limited to particular models.

Try removing it and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back