Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K: ntbackup causes bluescreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrtlprmbft

Technical User
Feb 18, 2003
DE
Hi all,

On 2 of our W2K servers (SP3) we are running backupscripts that invoke ntbackup. There is no problem with incremental backups, but when performing a full backup either server crashes with a
STOP: 0x0000001e (0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) K_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.
I do not think it's a problem of the filesystem as it occurs on 2 different machines.
MS KB did not help yet, and I'd really like to have a full backup again.

Any ideas appreciated!
Ingo

I have a simaler problem i am using a batch file to run a scheduled backup of 3 directories on my server, to a share on another server. When the scheduled backup hits 4g it crashes the source server. The source files are DFS and i have excluded the FRS related directory.

Any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Well I have been experiencing problems with NTBackup on a W2k server for over 3 months without being any closer to a solution. I have to backup about 25 gigs of data from one server to another. Once in a while (every week or 2), the server that has the tape backup crashes to be point of needing a dirty reboot. The problem is that the server NEVER crashes when I'm on site. I routinely "visit" the servers once a week locally because they are at 2 hours drive (200 km) away. I run my backups remotely (using remote desktop) when I'm offsite and that's when I crashes (not always, just sometimes). I also do backups for other servers the exact same way with other customers and it works fine. When I'm there locally, never a problem. The server that has the tape backup runs SQL server on it and that's it nothing else. It has plenty of CPU power and doesn't do any other thing other than backups. Unfortunately, when the backup crashes, there are no logs created so I can't pin point the problem. The only solution I have left is to install a tape backup on the other server that I backup files from to see if it's a bandwidth issue... Luckly, the customer hasn't noticed the crashes too often because they occur mostly on fridays and I usually am onsite monday early morning. I checked everything including anti-viruses, other remote logins, viruses, defrag... Does anyone know of any utility (other than event viewer) that can log data in real time or can I change some settings in the event viewer to show more info ?

thanks
anthony

Our problems are gone now, unfortunately there were several modifications, each of which may have been part of the solution:
- We have applied the hotfixes 822554, 823980, 824146, 828028, 830352
- We have applied Service Pack 4
- We have recreated the .bks-files with the ntbackup-GUI (important: never change them by text editor, the backup might not work at all then)

Hth
Ingo

Unfortunately I tried all of that. Back to square one for me. Lucky you !

anthony

Do the other machines use the same make/model of tape drive? If so are the drivers certified and have they been updated?

I guess I could try to see if there are any updates for the tape drive. However what I find weird is that it works most of the time except for a few odd exceptions. I going to do some tests and run the friday backup on saturday to see if it's date related...

anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back