Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K NT Locked Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddwaz

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
US
After a certain amount of idle time, my workstation goes into a locked workstation mode. You can't get back into the workstation unless you put in your name and password. I need to know where to turn this off. I looked through all the Novell Client Configuration properties to turn it off and can't find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Do you have a password-protected screensaver running?

John

Sorry, I posted the last answer incorrectly. I do have Webshots Screen Saver running, but not password protected.

does it come up with the Windows "Press Ctrl-Alt-Del" message or a Novell screen when it's locked?

If it's Windows, it sounds like the Windows screen saver.. otherwise sounds like Novell.. could there be a setting in the user config/set up? (it's been almost 6 years and several versions since I administered Novell, so I've forgotten the terminology)

Does your network run policies that might enable a password protected screensaver? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

In Power Management on the Advanced tab, uncheck "Prompt for password when the computer comes off standby" :)

Locking the PC after a period of inactivity is part of the NW client software. As far as I can remember, this feature cannot be removed for security reasons.

However, as always, I'm open to being educated.

Pete...

Roamer1- That was one of the first things we checked and it was not checked.

PeteH2 - I know the feature can't be removed but it starts on it's own. Usually you have to tell the computer to Lock the workstation. This is happening on it's own after some idle time. We can't find the feature that turns off the automatic setting.

We tried setting a password in Webshots, thinking it would override this Lock Station Feature. NOPE. After putting in the screen saver password, it pops up the Locked Workstation Novell screen.
Any other ideas?

What's the timeout setting on your screen saver ?

Pete...

I realise that you want to disable this facility, but as it's not possible you may want to try the next best thing - up the 15 minute timeout. This may make it more bearable

Pete...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back