Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K - no logon servers available to service logon request

Status
Not open for further replies.

sham14

MIS
May 14, 2003
NL
When i connect to my network externally with VPN connection I have no problem pinging any of the servers or collecting my mail. However when i try to map to a shared folder i get the following error message: 'There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request' The folder i am trying to map to is on windows2000 server with SP3 installed.

If i was then to reboot machine and change profile to log locally onto the pc (as opposed to domain) and then connect to the network again through vpn i do not encounter the same problem - i can map to the shared folder with no problem.

In summary:
1. logging onto machine locally, connecting to network by VPN and then map to shared folder works fine.
2. logging onto machine by domain profile, connecting to network by vpn(works fine) then try to map to shared folder - gives error ('There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request')

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Sham,

I've been working on the exact same problem for over a week now. I'm using a Watchguard v10 with an ipsec vpn connection to a Netopia 9100. I can ping the server and run terminal services, but I cannot authenticate unless I login to the local machine. I checked wins and it is working correctly. Have you found any solution to the problem? Let me know if you do.

Thanks!

Dustin

I've had this issue before in a system that was using domain profiles that had been damaged. I was trying to get data off couldn’t map any drives, very frustrating!!
Anyway – mapped the drive on NT4 using

path - \\ipaddress\shared_folder
connect as - machine_name\local_user_name
(machine name is from the network identification tab of system properties)

This will force the authentication for the local user.

Hope it works for you!
Russell

quoted form
"No logon server available"

Symptoms: you can ping the server by ip and name but can't map the shared drive by using net use \\ip or \\servername. If you try, you may receive the "No logon server available".

Resolutions: This sounds like cache credential issue. 1) make sure the computers in the same network, the same workgroup/domain and have created the same username. 2) use net use \\servername\sharename password /user:username to cache the credential. For more information, go to

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

Thanks Radefeld. That is good workaround - not exactly the solution i was hoping for but it works so i'm thankful for that.

Cheers

Hi, same problem but with windows 2000, has anyone found a permanent solution? My skills at net commands aren't great and if anyone could give me advice on how to make a mapped drive using the commands, plus make a perm shortcut available to this.... I would be very, very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

The problem is a Kerberos problem. When connecting to the VPN using domain credentials windows cannot pass the kerberos ticket. here is the registry fix outlined by Microsoft that has worked for every one of our users with this problem.

Enter this into your registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Kerberos\Parameters]
"MaxPacketSize"=dword:00000001

-Stephen-

Guys, thank you all very very much. I tried editing the reg and since then had no probs at all.

Best Limitup77

I've also got exactly this problem. However, the registry fix doesn't resolve it - I've tried on 3 different machines. Is there something I'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back