Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Logon script not running for some users

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManagerJay

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2000
US
We recently started deploying W2K Professional to some of our staff, but have run into a problem. For some of the users, the login script will not run.

Other users can log into the same PC, and a login script will run just fine.

The users experiencing the problem will not run the login script if they log into another W2K workstation. However, if they log into a Windows NT 4.0 workstation, the login script will run just fine.

All users are using the same login script.

The server is a W2K Server.

If you are fast enough, you can see the a message in the login script box stating, "The current directory is invalid." when the users experiencing the problem login.

I'm leaning toward this is a problem with their user account on the server.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jay

Jay,

As you are getting the error - the script is being run so the problem must be something in the script.

What is it doing ?

Must be referencing some path that is accessible to some users and not other. So I think you are on the right path.

If you put some more details of what the script is doing somebody will be sure to help.

Cheers

I tracket the problem down to the user's home directory specified in their profile.

The share permissions were displaying a GUID no longer in use instead of the user's name. Correcting the share permissions allowed the user's to login and run the login script without a problem.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back