Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w2k load and save personal settings... slow 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Apr 8, 2002
ZA
Hi
I have installed a new DELL 2500 server with 2Gig RAM and dual 1.13GHz CPU.The server is running an Oracle database.
The problem is as follows...

I reboot the server, all is fine during the boot phase, all the hardware is fine, the RAID containers are fine. It then comes to the login screen(all this happens very quickly, as expected). I enter the username and password, it then tries to locate my personal settings(I assume this cos, the login screen disappears, and it then takes a very long time before you see the "loading personal settings" screen)It then takes a very long time to load my personal settings, before it displays my desktop, everything is fine thereafter.

I have checked the eventlogs, there are a few error where it tries to recreate shared folders that are deleted, one error says that my Adapater link is down....

can someone please give me some sort of a troubleshooting guide to help me solve this one.

Thanks,
wesley chetty

made any recent changes to your WINS servers lately? We had the identical problem right after we changed the Wins server to a different IP address, all the clients picked up the changes through DHCP, but the servers were set static instead of DHCP. as soon as we fixed the WINS settings, started coming right up...

Mike

Hi Mike,
thanks for the reply,
nope have'nt made any changes to the WINS IP addresses.
The user I login with is a local user, does that also affect the WINS? Have I mentioned that this also happens at shutdown, in that it takes a very long time to save my personal settings before the server shuts down. I have'nt changed my profile or changed services. Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks,
Wesley.

Wesley,

You are logging in local or is this part of a domain. It sounds like it is having trouble locating a domain controller and authenticating you against it. I would create another user on there with admin rights (so you can log in) and delete the profile. It might be something within your profile settings.

hth

pat

Or log in as Administrator, delete the profile and start fresh, it may also think it's playing with a roaming profile, I've had it get stuck in roaming mode before... kinda our fault though because we were playing with it...

-Mike

I am having the same problem did the profile suggestion work?

How long is long? I know on some installs of Oracle servers they have fairly slow boot/shutdown times as the Oracle services can take a while.

When I log in with a user account it takes approx 15 min. I thought it might be a master browser issue so I used regedit to set a registry value to make sure the domain contoller was elected as master browser. I deleted all the user accounts and hand added a user account. It still took 15 min to log the account in. Thank goodness this is not a production machine yet. Any suggestions?

Ok I have resolved my issue. It had nothing to do with profiles or master browser issues. I reviewed the event logs and discovered I received a DNS warning each time I attemped user log ons. Even though I get DNS from the WAN, the Domain controller was having DNS issues. So I launched DNS and configured DNS on the Domain Controller to look to itself first for DNS then the WAN DNS server. Log on for the client machines was less than a min. So I guess the lesson to learn here is to look at the event logs closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back