Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k File Synchronizing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eamc

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
US
There is something hard to understand about the W2k Synchronizer that works perfectly, except for the following. Call my W2k computer A, and a W95 computer B. A and B are connected. From A, you can mark a folder in B as SHARED, and now you can synchronize files in B perfectly, and they show up in the OFFLINE FILES (O.F.) FOLDER. But, this seems to assume that files were last saved from B. If from A, you access B by MY NETWORK PLACES, open a file in B, work on it, and save it from A (it is still resident in B, of course) it will not show up again in the O.F. folder. You can access it from Windows Explorer in A, R-click it, and click Synchronize: it will run through the synchronization, but if you look in the O.F. Folder, it is still not there. Not until you open it from B, and save it from B will synchronization work again. Why is that? It makes it impossible to work on a file from either computer. Am I missing something?

Here's some ideas from MS:

NOTE : You must be logged on as a member of the local Administrators group to follow these steps. The following requires that

Click Start , click Run , type mmc , and then click OK .

On the Console menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in .

Click Add .

Click Group Policy , and then click Add .

Local Computer is selected by default in the Group Policy Object box. Click Finish .

Click Close .

Click OK .

Local Computer Policy is listed under Console Root . Click the plus sign (+) located next to Local Computer Policy .

Click the plus sign (+) located next to Computer Configuration .

the plus sign (+) located next to Administrative Templates .

the plus sign (+) located next to Network .

Click Offline Files .

In the right pane, double-click Subfolders always available offline .

Click Enabled , and then click OK .

Quit Microsoft Management Console (MMC). When you are prompted to save the settings to the console, click No .

After you make this change, subfolders are synchronized when the parent offline folder is synchronized.

Also - is the Win2K folder using NTFS? Win95 wont read that partition - is file & printer sharing enabled? Do you have local caching enabled?

Here's another scenario to try:
During the synchronization process, a temporary file gets generated. If the drive is formatted with the NTFS file system, the user who is running the synchronization must have modify permission to the location where the temporary file is created. The synchronization process looks for a temporary folder in the root of the drive that holds the CSC folder. If a temporary folder does not exist, the synchronization process writes the temporary file in the root of the drive itself.

For example, by default the CSC folder is located in the %SystemRoot% folder. If the %SystemRoot% folder is located on drive C, the CSC cache is in the C:\Winnt\CSC folder. The synchronization process then looks for a C:\Temp folder to write the temporary file into during the synchronization. If the CSC folder is moved to another partition by using the Cachemov.exe utility, the synchronization process looks at that drive for the temporary folder. If the temporary folder does not exist, it then writes the temporary file to the root of that drive.

This can be a problem if users are not given NTFS permissions to write to the root of a drive. If the temporary file cannot be created, the modified files never get synchronized with the server.

WORKAROUND
A workaround is to create a temporary folder in the root of the drive that contains the CSC folder. On this temporary folder, assign the users the NTFS Modify or Full Control permission.

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Hi Pbxman

Your reply was MOST helpful - Tek-Tips is really an outstanding forum. THANK YOU.

I have not implemented your steps yet, but would also like to enable synchronizer caching of .mdb files, which cannot be cached by default. I understand that the Group policy setting can override this default (MS W2k Prof Resource Kit Book, p 375) - how would I do this in mmc?

Edwin

Thanks for the kind words eamc,

Here's how you do it:
To synchronize any file (not just .mdb files), click Start, Run and type gpedit.msc. Under Local Computer Policy, Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Network, Offline Files, Files Not Cached. By default, Files Not Cached is set to Not Configured. Set it to Disabled. Log off, and log on again, and set your .mdb files to be available offline.

Hope that takes care of it for you.

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Thanks, pbxman! Why do the thick W2k books not tell you how to do these things? Or even the thin ones: "MS's W2k Prof At a Glance" is a good simple book, lots of graphics - but group policy does not appeare in the index.

Ed

Policies and computer management is an advanced topic and highly customizable for specific uses. All MS can do really is give you an overview of how it works, then let us all loose to play with it.

Im sure there are advanced books out there somewhere that are dedicated to this kind of thing, but I havent come across one thats for sure - and i dont use group policies other than for very general changes. Most i've seen is the structuring, basic default settings, and where things are.

All you can do is look around, and see what you can/can not change i guess..but thats the best way to learn.
:)
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

My problem is almost like this. I have users logging on to a domain. They have a private drive on the server. I have made all the files on this drive to be made available and to be synchronized when the users logs in or logs off. It works very well. When the user goes home and logs in without any LAN connection, he still logs on to the domain and not locally. Heres my problem: Sometimes he can log in to the domain without LAN connection. Sometimes he is refused. When he logs on the domain without LAN connection he can see his offline files. Otherwise he cannot see his offline files. Why does this happen? Why sometimes and not allways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back