Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K file sharing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksdadguy

Technical User
Mar 16, 2003
US
I have been working to share files on my home network without any great success. I have a cable modem connected to a router. The router has a connection to a workgroup switch where the two W2K machines are connected. Both machines are running SP4.

Each machine can ping the other, but when bringing up network neighborhood, one machine sees both but gives me an error of 'network path was not found' and the other machine does not see both.

I did an ipconfig /all and the the only difference I see is that the Node Types are different. One machine is Broadcast and the other is Peer to Peer. The machine set as Broadcast can see both machines in neighborhood.

I have created an account on both machines which is the same, but this has not helped. I enabled the Guest account on both and this has not helped.

I'm at a loss at this point as to what is stopping the traffic.

The main reason for all this is that the machine set as P2P only has a CDROM and I'd like to backup some of the files and offload them to recover about 2GB of space.

Thanks,

KSDadGuy

I also forgot to add that on the P2P machine, when I go into network neighborhood, I get the message: 'The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available'.

I have tried turning off browser in services, but still no luck.

Thanks,

KSDadGuy

You can leave the browser enabled. But you need to change your Node type, as Peer-to-Peer will not resolve workgroup netbios names without a WINS server.

Open notepad and copy/paste the below. Save as node_fix.reg :

**** start copy/paste below this line
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\NodeType]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters]NodeType
"NodeType"=dword:00000001

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\DhcpNodeType]

****** end copy/paste above this line

Double click the saved file to merge with your registry. Reboot and test your network again.

Thanks much for the quick reply. This worked like a charm.
I gave you a star for the tip.

Thanks,

KSDadGuy

There have been several lively debates in the private MVP newsgroups as to why the NT OS family seems to get the Nodetype setting wrong so often.

And it does get it wrong often in NT, Win2k and XP. For workstation problems such as yours one of the first things to check is the Node Type setting shown in Ipconfig /All. A setting of "None", "Broadcast" or even "Hybrid" will all essentially allow Netbios broadcast name resolution in a workgroup. "Peer-to-Peer" (which is not, it is WINS), does not work at all.

The only option is to remove the possibly two entries specifying a wrong node type, and alternatively specifying a Broadcast node type, all of which is simply what the registry change above accomplishes.

Best,
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back