Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Dns Fails for some web lookups

Status
Not open for further replies.

acipriani

MIS
Dec 14, 2001
US
I have a windows 2000 domain controller with dns and dhcp. I have approximately 25 workstations, all with their gateway pointing to our dsl router and the dns server pointing at our domain controller.

All has been well for 3 months. Within the last 2 weeks workstations little by little are unable to resolve certain dns names (web sites). It then over a period of a day or two gets progressively worse. Rebooting the domain controller (also the dns server) resolves the problem, but it begins again approximately 1 to 2 days later.

Any suggestions?

Adam

Are u using any software for Internet routing ?

I've seen that over a certain period of time few sites especially SSL, SOCKS related sites get disabled on the routing software. Possibly a memory leak on the server causing some sort of overflow.

To get around it I created a new service using the registry editor for my Internet sharing program which runs automatically on startup. Then when I restart the server it takes control of all http, ftp, socks and other web services. This has resolved the issue for me.

No routing software, just good old Windows 2000 for dns lookups, a sonic wall as our firewall, and a dsl router.

I'm convinced it something to do with dns on the server, but I have been unable to find any info on Microsofts web site.

Thanks anyway.

Adam

The wording was a bit wierd in your original post.

I am assuming you house your internal DNS ..probably on your DC that hold the PDC emulator role.

In DNS do you have a "." root? Or did you delete the "." root?

How are you forwarding to the interent for DNS resolution?

It depends on your size of your company...but if you ONE site, I would probably delete the "." root in DNS. Then forward your DNS server to your internet ISP DNS servers.

This way, your clients look to the local DC (DNS) for host name resolution. If the address isn't in the local database, the DNS server will forward the request to the ISP DNS server(s). Then recursive lookups will take place until the record is found and returned to your local DNS server and then to the client workstation. Overtime, your DNS server will build a cache..remember DNS lookups carry little network traffic...they are very efficient.

Anyways, it kind of sounds like a resolution problem. I would probably look at how you setup DNS. Also, I would look and verify that TCP/IP information is being handed out properly. All clients should register with local DNS servers. So, DNS in DHCP should point to local DNS servers...sometime people try to point to the ISP DNS servers...this is not right. Clients have to register with thier local Domain...

Anyway, I hope this helps.. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

There is no root ".". And with dhcp, ip addresses are distributed along with a gateway (our firewall), and a dns server (our domain controller).

There are no forwarders setup. Why would these need to be setup? Does my server not know where to locate root servers? Also, like I said, name resolution occurs for a while, and then slowly stops. Very confusing.

But for 1 more synopsis - my pc's are registering with the local dns (I can see the names in the dns snap-in) Dns resolution occurs internally and on the internet successfully (and has for approximately 3 months), but recently will deteriorate slowly, and with a reboot of the server, all becomes well for a while.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back