Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w2k dns, AD, and dhcp problems!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemosabi

Technical User
Oct 14, 2003
ZA
Please help. I have a Windows 2000 server. Whenever I try to add a Dns server i get a message that says "server is unavailable" I get similar messages when trying to go in to dhcp. When i try go in to Active Directory i get the message "The Naming information could not be located becasue: the network path could not be found". Please HELP.
Everything seems to be working though. I can still get clients to dial in and authenticate.

Check your network connectivity to the hub/switch or maybe your NIC was disabled.

No. all the errors are on the server. not on clients. I get these errors while trying to add a new dns server. I presume im getting the errors in active directory because my dns and dhcp arent working.

Is your DNS pointing to your server IP or 127.0.0.1 - rather than your ISP?

GlennA
glenna@abelson.com
MIS

How do i double check. I dont think it is.?????

Administrative Tools
DNS
Right click on domain server
properties

I am not in front of my server now...but it is in that area.
Point it to the server IP or the loopback.

Also enable WINS from Internet/IP configuration (also the IP address of the server) on the server and the work stations.

GlennA
glenna@abelson.com
MIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back