Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Disk Read Error after Ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chongtl

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
MY
I'm using Symantec Ghost 2003 to create disk image of notebook and ghost it to 2nd notebook.
When I retsart the 2nd notebook. I got message "Disk Read Error, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart.
I tried to repair with W2K¡@¢Ñ¢Ò¡@¢à¢í¢ë¢÷¢þ¢í¢ú£B¡@¢Ñ¢÷¢ö¢û¢÷¢ô¢í¡D¡@¢Ð¢ý¢ü¡@¢ë¢é¢ö¡¦¢ü¡@¢û¢÷¢ô¢þ¢í¡@¢ü¢ð¢í¡@¢ø¢ú¢÷¢ê¢ô¢í¢õ¡D¡@
¢å¢ð¢é¢ü¡@¢û¢ð¢÷¢ý¢ô¢ì¡@¢×¡@¢ì¢÷¡H
¢â¢ð¢é¢ö¢ó¢û

Check and make sure the notebooks have the same processors. I found in Ghost that if machines have different proccessors it may not work. More times than none.

Based on the error, "Disk Read Error", do you think, it is causes by different processor?

It could be, Ive seen ghost do some crazy things especially with different processors. Once I ghosted a machine with a 500 Processor PIII with a 350MHZ processor PII it looked fine at startup the windows screen bar for 2000 started to go and then just jammed and would not go anywhere else no matter what. After testing ive found the ghost doesnt like to image machines with different processors. If you have the luxury to test it with 2 machines that are identical in make i would say test it.

Good Luck

I think your machine crashed is not because of Ghost. It is Windows. It just like you swapping the hard disk from PII machine to PIII. The Windows is sure crash and it is not because of Ghost.

As for my problem I found the solution. In fact the main problem is because I took out me notebook hard disk and ghost it from image which I store in a PC. And I notice the notebook disk cylinder is different in PC & in notebook.

I copy my ghost image into CD and use CD to restore my notebook(The hard disk is in side the notebook). Everything work fine.

Any way thanks for your respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back