Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K + Dial-up RAS - Can't see Network Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpbx

MIS
Oct 24, 2002
US
Running Windows 2000 PRO using Dial-up to access RAS on our businsess LAN. For some reason, we can't get access to our network drives when using dial-up.

The thing that got me stumped was that only 1 person out of 30 was able to connect with a W2K pro PC w/ dial-up to our RAS and was able to see the network drives as well as access them.

I looked to see what was different about this person's PC/account, and only noticed that they DIDN'T have ANY folders set to SYNC for offline use, compared to all of our other users.

Ahhh... why in the world would this be happen???
so anyway, just to be sure I could pinpoint the problem, I set a folder on the network to SYNC down to her PC for offline use. I then disconnected her PC from the network(domain) and then tested the dial-up. After connecting via dial-up, I NOW CAN'T see or access any network drives.

Anyone know what the beef is on this? Why would I be able to access these drives before, and now after setting/resetting options to SYNC I CAN'T get her to see the drives...?

I also tried disconnecting any MAPPED drives while connected on the LAN then disconnected, rebooted, logged in OFFLINE and used dial-up with still no avail. Any ideas?????

I feel like I am on crazy pills here people!

Hopefully someone knows what I missed. Thx in advance!

xpbx

What kind of sharing do you mean? There weren't any changes made to the server during the time I saw it work to when I set it up for SYNC and saw it NOT work.

We have never had any success with people accessing network drives using W2K Pro w/ dial-up. Then again, all of these users had items set to SYNC except this one user. weirdness i tell ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back