Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w2k DC server will not transfer AD when adding 2nd controller 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBG

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2004
US
I have a windows 2000 DC that will not allow me to add a second DC.
when i try to add another DC to the network. It gives me a message saying that it cannot transfer AD information.
I don't have the exact message available, but it seems to be saying that the DC does not have the permissions to transfer the information. This is the only DC on the network.

Does anyone know why it will not allow the 2nd server to become a DC?

Thanks
KBG

The last time I had this problem, it turned out to be a DNS issue. The W2K DNS server which is required for Active Directory is the key. I made sure that both servers (the DC and soon-to-be DC) had host entries. I ended up changing the DNS server selection in the TCP/IP properties so that both DCs were using the W2K DNS server. I verified this with ipconfig at the DOS prompt and then dcpromo worked. dcdiag.exe is also a good tool to help troubleshoot this problem. It is a support tool on the w2k CD. There's more info about it at:

As suggested by dgudde DNS is the most probable cause. W2K Also have SP2 installed on both DC's. I just hope you'r not trying this with a SBS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back