Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k Client Local Admin Cannot Log In but Domain Admin Can

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnF

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2001
US
Hello,

I've got 3 W2k Advanced servers running. Two of the client's are using W2k Professional. For some reason, and I'm figure it's a domain security setting somewhere, I cannot log on to the W2k Professional clients with the local admin account after configuring them to work on the network. These are relatively new computers and I could (and had to) log on as the local admin when first pulling the computers out of the box and doing the initial setup. I can log on to the W2k clients with the domain admin and the domain users accounts. When logging on locally I'm making sure to change the domain at the login prompt back to the local computer and not the network domain. I know there is a local security policy on each of the W2k Prof. clients, a local security Policy on the W2k Advanced server that's handling the domain, and a domain security policy who's policys only seem to affect W2k Prof clients (am I correct about that?) and overrides any client local policys if present.

Anyone know where the setting is to allow local admins on W2k professional clients to log on?

Thanks,

Shawn F.

Check the user profiles tab in your system properties. Hope that helps!

Matt Wray
CCNA

on the Win2K Prof....
Administrative Tools\Local Security Policy...
expand Local Policies\User Rights Assignment...
Review the "log on locally" setting (and the "deny logon locally)

The domain policy (group policy) should be reviewed through Active Directory...
expand computer configuration\windows settings\security settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment...
Then there is the same "log on locally" setting

When you are logged on as admin, check local users & groups. In the administrators group, there should be 2 members, the local administrator and domain admins. If the locol admin is not there add him or create another. I really don't think it has anything to do with policies. If this computer is not a DC and there is local users, they should be able to log on locally. By default users, guest, admin .... can log on locally. I agree with the above posting, but should be ok if you didn't touch policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back