Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Cant See new Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattBrauman

Technical User
Apr 17, 2003
US
I got a new W2K server and am trying to get it set up "right" this time, so I am going slow making sure I get everything right. Right now I have an old domain with 1 W2K server on the same network with my new server. My win98 computers can log on and use new domain, but my w2k and xp computers wont let me change domains to the new one. From what I have read it sounds like DNS problems. My question is where do you start and what tools do you use? From another posting I did nslookup server.tmi.local tmi.local and response is:
*** Can't find server address for 'tmi.local':
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.100: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.0.100

Name: server.tmi.local

My w2k workstation has dns address set to 192.168.0.100.

DNS logging seems to show queries going out to my ISP for the nslookup, if i understand it right.

Thanks,

Matt

Have you demoted the old server? thus giving the new server the domain controller title on the network.

No I haven't demoted the old server. What will happen if I do, and how do you do it. From what i understand dcpromo will accomplish this, but I'm not sure what the result will be to the users on the network.

Thanks,

Matt

Instead of trying to change the domain name using the change button in system properties, try using the network id wizard button. Sometimes that works. If it still doesnt, change the computer name, then reboot and you should be able to change the domain name.

Sounds like DNS may not be set up right.

1. Looks like it, but is there a forward lookup zone for tmi.local on 192.168.0.100?
2. If so, are dynamic updates enabled?
3. If so, have you rebooted your DC since you enabled dynamic updates?
4. If so, is the DC using itself as a DNS server?

In order to get rid of some of those errors in your nslookup, add a host entry with a blank host name with the IP address of your DNS server (it will default to the folder name then). Also, add a reverse lookup zone with a PTR record for the DNS server.

Marc Creviere
Network Administrator
Total Logistic Control, LLC

1. Yes, there is a forward lookup zone tmi.local
2. I had just turned it on.
3. No, I hadnt rebooted yet. (doesnt w2k server tell you to reboot when you need to after making changes?)
4. Yes, under TCPIP properties the server has its own address for Preferred DNS server.

Now nslookup looks like this:

C:\>nslookup server.tmi.local tmi.local
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.100: Non-existent domain
Server: UnKnown

Name: server.tmi.local

This time I was able to change domains on w2k workstation.

After I rebooted I had the following error in my DNS log:

The DNS server was unable to complete directory service enumeration of zone .. This DNS server is configured to use information obtained from Active Directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone. The event data contains the error.

Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks,

Matt

My first guess would be that it means you haven't service packed yet. If you included the event number that'd help us troubleshoot. Also check your application and system logs to see if anything else failed at that same time.

Marc Creviere

Is your old server running Active Directory? If it is you can demote the domain controller by selecting start;run; and typing dcpromo. This will open a wizard which will ask you (depending if it is a domain controller) would you like to demote this domain controller. Just follow the instructions. You can also get a great tutorial in Microsoft's Tech Net support sit, just search for Active Directory Wizard.

Event ID is 4004 in DNS log.

System log has event ID 102 - "Unable to register COM class objects", Although this was there after a couple different reboots.

It was installed with sp3, and asks for it each time I add something.

Thanks,

Matt

Got to the Microsoft Knowledge Base and Put in the Error number and description (if there is one in event viewer) in the search box. I've had a similar issue and Microsoft has the exact fix for it because it is caused by one specific scenario.

Good Luck!

Event ID 4004 in DNS log seems to have gone away. I am still getting event id 102 "Unable to register COM class objects" from the Removable Storage Service. I checked microsoft knowledgebase and didnt find anything.

Thanks,

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back