Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k cannot find boot.ini 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamer1

Technical User
Dec 7, 2000
US
I had to install w2k Pro 3 times before I could get a good install. Now every time I cold boot my machine it comes up with a select OS.I have tried invain to find where this is coming from. Can anyone tell me where this information is sitting and how to get to it.I do not have a boot.ini, it must be someware else.
Thank you for any help you may provide.

If you're getting a boot menu, I believe your "boot.ini", is just hidden? Regardless, right-click "My Computer", choose "Properties", go to the "Advanced" tab, and un-check "Display list of operating systems...".
Heath Racine
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

To access the boot.ini you must do the following.
START>RUN and type attrib boot.ini -r -h -s
then hit enter. Open up notepad and go to open. On the C:\ drive type boot.ini and enter.

Once you are done and saved the boot.ini go back to START>RUN and type attrib boot.ini +r +h +s
and hit enter. REMEMBER, always update your ERD before making ANY changes to the boot.ini file.

BUT, do as a073235 stated. Its much easier. (But not as effective)
Either will get rid of the boot menue James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Thank you for all your help.
I did fix my problem from the Information that was given to me. Again thank you for your help and speedy reply.
Dreamer1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back