Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w2k and Linux 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbuholtz

Technical User
Nov 6, 2000
US
Can anyone tell me how to run any Linux Distribution on a partition alongside Windows 2000 Pro? I want to install Linux on a seperate partition (D:). 2000 is already installed on Drive C:.

Thanks in advance!

Is w2k or linux already installed? If w2k is already installed, find a disk partition utility (Partition Magic, etc) and resize the partitions on your hard drive to leave either a dos partition or free space (at least 1 GB). Then get a Linux distro and follow the install instructions. There are some excellent how-tos out there to help you along. Try this link:

Hope this helps!

I'm going to be doing this same thing later this week on my w2k laptop, so I'll update you on thing I run into if you like.

in his post , he already states, win2k is already installed on C:

ok like timjarland said, using partition magic works (5 works fine if you put it on a bootdisk, otherwise you would have to use version 6, because it's the only version that works right off of 2000) , resize the C partition to the ammount you want , leaving empy space on the drive, typically you can go ahead and create your Linux swap and Linux native partitions here, but I usally leave them blank so that I can allow the distributions' utilities to create them for me (such as the Partition utility when installing Mandrake, or the Fdisk-like utility when installing others)

if you havent read, it's usally ideal that the swap partition is either the size, or twice the size of your physical rams. Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

You might also want to take a look at how to boot your W2K/Linux system. I found that all of the various LILO-based solutions were problematic. Here's a link to another approach that uses W2K to resolve the booting of Linux. Works like a charm, too! Go to:

Good luck!

Pick your Linux distribution. Install it to D, following the instructions.

For the loader, try using either LILO or Loadlin. See linux.org for details - there's a complete destruction manual there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back