Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K and Dell Lap Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamer1

Technical User
Dec 7, 2000
US
I am running w2k on a Dell Laptop pluged to a docking station. I try to install a HP-cd-writer 8200 series USB drive. And every time the driver is installed the laptop hanges for ever at the install. If i unplug the cdrom the driver will not get installed and my system starts running again. Any help would be appricaited. Thanks

Flash the BIOS to the latest version (mine is A11) which makes a huge difference when installing and running 2000.

I did upgrade to A11 But now I am wondering if maybe it did not do everthing it was suppose to. Can I re-upgrade to A11 again? Thanks

How about trying to remove the Docked profile on the laptop and creating a new one? This helped me out when I was having trouble with the Dell laptops and USB ports. Also, the Latitude C800's had problems with their MB's. There have been several on my site that have had to have them replaced.

~T

I found the problem It is a bad bios from Dell ( A11 ).
a cpi-d266xt laptop running win2K pro useing the hp cd-writer 8220e drive that is on USB dies.
The new bios has done something to USB it will not run correctly.
Thanks for all your help.

I have your answer. Dell has a problem with the HP82oo USB CDR's. If you go to HP's website, you'll find a notice concerning the problem. Dell will not fix the problem -- their only suggestion is to buy a SCSI drive (big help, huh?). I've already raised you-know-what to Dell and they just shrug it off. I finally got a FireWire device (Yamaha CDR with an Evergreen PC card) and it works great. The only other suggestion anyone has for a solution is to try using a powered USB hub between the CDR and your computer. I did this and did get it to install, but running it was quite iffy at best. I kept getting buffer underrun errors and finally gave up. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back