Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2003 takes a wheel....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srkey

IS-IT--Management
Oct 13, 2003
EU
Here is one streight and simple question>

I have Active directory with Win 2K Server. I want to migrate to Win 2003 Active directory. I want to add Win2003 server as another domain controller and then to revoke Win2K server so i will have single W2003 DC at the end.

What should i do to prepare W2k to work with W2k03 in AD and after that what is procedure for revoking W2k from w2K/W2003 Active Directory? I have some white papers on that but i would like to hear some xperiencies from real situations. Any well known problems or considerations?

If you know how to import AD from W2k into W2k03 without previous procedure that's even better!

Tanx alllllot!

Srkey

Run domain and forest prep from the windows 2003 server cd. Then install the windows 2003 server and add it to the domain. Run DCPromo on the windows 2003 server, then install and configure DNS. You will then need to migrate over all the FSMO roles using the ntdsutil to the new 2003 DC. After that just run dcpromo on the 2k server to demote it. Simple as that!

Make sure however that you clients somehow get configured to point to the new DNS server or they won't be able to logon. I'm sure you have DHCP running on that server anyways if its a single server, and you'll have to migrate that anyways.

Why not keep the 2k server as a member server for AD resiliency. Just move the FSMO role, but no need to remove it from any AD function.

Tanx, i'll do that.Are there some triks about it or it is like in the book? Maybe some unconsistencies or errors in log?

Tanx!

Srkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back