Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

w2000 boot > restart > boot > restart > etc, etc... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

richg1

Technical User
Jul 3, 2003
US
Any help w/ W2000 Boot Problem...

On the boot sequence, it displays the w2000 loading progress bar and gets to the point just prior to the login screen, and then it restarts itself.

Have tried booting in safe mode etc, to no avail. I can get into the manual repair console by booting off the cd and can see the drives/dirs.

I saw another post recommending to try an install from cd, instead of the repair process. It should then pick up the old install and fix???

The only other thing was that on the last ok-ish boot it went into the check disk process.

It kinda sounds similar to a few other posts...Does anyone have a fix that won't wipe my hd.

Any help much appreciated...

I had the same problem on a new machine and it was a incompatibility problem with the video card. Try another video card. If that don't work, can you get into Safe mode??

No probs w/ Video Card. It's been fine for the last 2 years. I'm currently on SP2 and haven't made any significant software/driver upgrades f/ a few months.

richg1 - try running chkdsk from recovery console. Then try booting again. if no good - you can do a repair reinstall. Boot from 2k install Cd - choose new install NOT repair option. It should find existing install and offer repair (type R) - take this option. Proceeds much like normal install. Keeps data, apps & settings, loses windows updates.

i had same problem and then same i did what wolluf indicated above. its fine now.

Knowledge is a key of success.

I feel like my current problem is related to the issues above. Should I bother trying to resolve it the same way or can someone think of something else?

* I turn the computer on
* the windows loads
* I begin doing my bizz
* I might be in the middle of something
OR
* I could be doing paperwork and the computer is just sitting idle, in win2k desktop
AND
* Without warning, the computer starts to go into the restart procedure as if I had chosen that from the start menu. It shuts down and restarts.

Any ideas?
thanks,
Rob

This is probably a hardware issue (eg, bad RAM) - might also be bad driver. Is there anything in event log about it (run eventvwr.msc)?

Orlotron, I eventually had to do a second install to a new directory and boot from that (with no probs). I haven't been able to fix the original install yet but at least I haven't lost any data.

Once I've got round to backing up everything I was going to try fixboot/fixmbr from the recovery console on the original OS as that seems like the last thing I can try without going with a new installation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back