Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W10 Make NumLock Permanent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboy

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hello,

I am running a brand new Dell Vosto with a built in keyboard and Windows 10.

I have set the bios to have the NumLock on at startup but as I work I sometimes brush the NumLock button which converts the keypad to the directional mode.

I would like your help to change a setting someplace that would permanently set the NumLock to be on (that is the number pad would be only numbers).

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for your help!

It sounds like you need to disable the NumLock key's ability to toggle. You can do this using a one-line AutoHotkey script:

Code:
SetNumLockState, AlwaysOn

Alternatively, use another AutoHotkey one-liner to disable the NumLock key:

Code:
NumLock::return

Copy/paste/save either of the one-liners above from Notepad as something like numlock-always-on.ahk (not numlock-always-on.ahk.txt) and make sure it's always running (or compile it to an executable and use one of the RUN keys in the registry or a shortcut to the executable in one of the startup folders).

(I have an AutoHotkey that runs all the time to provide all manner of automation - like changing @@ automatically into my rather long email address to save me having to type it all in time-after-time or auto-correcting some of my usual typos [like doesn;t instead of doesn't] - so it was really easy for me to add one of the one-liners above to the script.)

Hope this helps...

Hi Rick,

I will try that however I was hoping for something that doesn't have to run all the time which just will add to the things that slow the machine down. Unless AutoHotkey uses very little overhead. Any comments?

I always set the Num Lock/Scroll Lock & Caps Lock to 'beep' when changed

Control Panel/Ease of Access/Make the keyboard easier to use/
Turn on Toggle keys

Hi Rick,

I came back to say that AHK works very well. I am a little confused, is there a way to set up AHK to automatically run my script every time the computer is started? The directions seem to say that is possible but there are no details.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back