Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W-ME hangs at startup with LAN card installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

toonarmy

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
US
I have a Linksys LAN card installed but not connected (awaiting cable modem availability). Macafee splash screen displays but will not disappear despite waiting considerable time, system "hangs" until I kill viruscan. I removed the LAN card and it all works just fine. HOWEVER I do need the LAN card reinstalled - any ideas?

Did you get the drivers for the lan card actually installed? Or do you think that the 'found new hardware' thing is conflicting with ViruScan? If the last is a possibility, go to control panel and disable automatic start of VS, then shut down, install your card and see what happens. If it works, don't forget to reactivate automatic startup of VS.

I first had the LAN card installed plus drivers - working fine. Then installed latest Macafee and encountered problems. I knew Macafee had problems with hanging at startup with non-existent floppy drives so I figured there was a chance unconnected network cards might have similar issues - and they clearly do. Next step I guess is for me to reinstall the LAN card & drivers and see if Macafee hangs once again - tomorrow.

Which version of McAfee are you using and installing on what OS? AVChap
... take my advice, I don't use it anyway!

I'm using engine 4.1.60 and virus defns 4230 (all up to date). I've used Macafee for 5 or 6 years and this is the first problem I've had with the product. The Macafee chat line was not much help - "The problem is with the LAN card/SW, why don't you call them".
I shall try reinstalling the LAN card, see if that helps. If that doesn't solve the problem, next idea will be to disable the virus logging activity monitor and see if that's got anything to do with it. It may well be that the problem will disappear if I've anything connected to the LAN card (e.g. my cable modem, whenever that appears). I am aware that Macafee and non-existent floppy drives are not a good combination. Perhaps the same applies to LAN connections that don't go anywhere.

I meant what version of McAfee VirusScan and the OS you're trying to install the card on. AVChap

I am using Macafee Viruscan Version 6 and running Windows ME.

Most likely its a conflict with the drivers of the LAN card. Check the card manufacturer site for any information.

HTH, AVChap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back