Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W-98SE boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbleDog

Programmer
Apr 30, 2003
US
I have 2 HD both Fujitsu 40 G. The system wouldn't boot. It would get to a point in the boot and shut itself down. I loaded the start-up disk and went to FDISK. FDISK shows the C drive as being FAT-16 1 partition only and 2047 MB (10% usage). I took the drives out and change the slave to the master, and omitted the original C drive from the system. Booted from the start-up disk went to FDISK and the partition info showed the same thing for the 1 partition. FAT-16 Active 2047 MB (10% usage). Virus? Thanks in advance.

Maybe you have an old bios and your CMOS is stuck. As a last-ditch effort I would remove both drives and let the CMOS register that there are no drives; then try installing them one at a time. As a final effort, maybe clearing the CMOS might help too. Don't do this unless you are completely otherise stuck.

Freeware .
WIPE OUT : as the name implies, this utility will absolutely WIPE your hard drive. For those
times when an industrial strength cleaner is needed to remove any pesky files Fdisk may have
left behind. A readme file is included in the zip file. WARNING...WIPE OUT will remove ALL data
from the Hard Drive.

WARNING
The use of WIPEOUT can and will result in the loss of ALL data on your hard drive.
DIRECTIONS

1- Unzip file
2- Copy WIPEOUT to a Win9x boot disk
3- Boot with Win9x disk
4- At the A:\> type "wipeout c: /nq /np" (no quotes)
/nq = no queries - you will not be asked if you are sure.
/np = no partitions - this will overwrite the MBR

Press Enter .

Now run fdisk to set up partitions .
When done reboot & format .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back