Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VxD probs!Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temjin

Technical User
Feb 9, 2005
US
Hi!

I got quite a big problem with my PC.

After installing Norton SystemWorks and plugging a new stick of RAM and installing a new Logitech mouse, it seems that my PC had been rather unstable since.

Almost everytime I go to windows,it will automatically restart after a few seconds for no reason at all. At times, it will show me the following screens with alight variations:

Invalid VxD dynamic link call from VMMCODT(or something,not too sure) 0000B24C to device ' 43E3' service EA77.
Your Windows Configuration is invalid.Run Windows setup program again to correct this problem.

OR,

A fatal exception OE had occured at 0028:FF069661 in VxD wdmaud(07)+00008AB1.The current application will be terminated.

Or a Windows error message:

msgsrv32,illegal operation.
Then the PC will just hang.

What's the problem?
No idea.

Here's my sys config:

AMD k6/2 500
160 RAM (32+64+64)
AOpen mboard

Look at THREAD thread615-3863 - MANY possible answers.

Hope this helps.

That's an incredibly long thread to read through although it is informative. I have been having a lot of problems related to those types of messages and from what I've been able to gather I believe the problem is related to bad RAM. I had those errors under 98 and since switching to 2000 it still has problems but in a different form. Nonetheless after researching it, it seems to come back to a ram problem. Ever since the first day I started using my computer I have had problems related to it. Although I should buy a different stick, I'm kinda cheap so I just deal with it. (Hey, I'm a college student). I found a lot of my errors were reduced by slowing to ram down from it's max clock speed although it still causes random reboots about once a week. If the new stick you bought is OEM I would try taking it out and see if it helps (try it even if it's not though). Also, both my and my roommates computers had a lot of weird problems after installing Norton Antivirus. After seeing the problems it created for us I will never use a Symantec program again. (ok, maybe I will) I don't know if antivirus comes with Systemworks but I wouldn't use it. Although I would lay money on your problem being RAM you may want to give uninstaling that a try also. Good luck.

If you are running systemworks 2000 or earlier diable crash guard as it creates many problems . I do agree w/ osuman though it's probably the ram.
Hope this helps.

OK -
1) Clean inside of PC using compressed air - thoroughly. Re-seat your RAM and other other hardware.
2) Use MSCONFIG and stop everything except EXPLORER when starting up.
3) Stop Power Management, Virus Checker.
4) REBOOT.

DONE ANY GOOD YET?

4) Step-by-step, use MSCONFIG to turn on anything you need, and turn on Power Management/Virus software.

(Too many applications stick startups in here, such as my digital camera software, and you just need the ability to start the application as you need it, not when you turn on your PC.)

You didn't give your system specs - if you have an AMD chip, please read the thread mentioned previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back